Braces are one of the most common forms of orthodontic treatment available. At Nyberg Orthodontics, our orthodontist is pleased to provide a number of types of braces to fit each of our patient’s individual needs and preferences. Dr. Lynnette Nyberg will help you choose the type that is best for your smile.
Traditional metal braces
– Thanks to advances in orthodontic techniques, materials, and technology, metal braces are now more comfortable and effective than ever before. Metal braces are made of high-grade stainless steel and move the teeth using metal brackets and archwires. You also have the option of adding colored elastics for a unique look.
– Self-ligating braces are made of the same materials as traditional braces – they can be made with stainless steel, ceramic, or clear brackets. Unlike traditional braces, however, self-ligating braces do not require the use of elastics, which means treatment is often more comfortable because less pressure is placed on the tooth. Self-ligating braces also require fewer appointments during treatment.
Clear (ceramic) braces
– Clear braces are less visible on your teeth, making them a popular choice among older teenagers and adult patients who have cosmetic concerns. Ceramic brackets are typically larger than metal brackets and are more brittle, requiring more careful oral hygiene.
– Clear aligner systems work through a series of clear, removable aligner trays that fit comfortably and snugly over your teeth. These aligners can be easily removed when needed for eating, drinking, flossing, and brushing. Clear aligners are virtually invisible and contain no metal that can potentially cause irritation or discomfort during treatment.
– Lingual braces are placed on the backside of the teeth, hiding them from view when you smile. This maintains your natural appearance during treatment. Lingual braces are typically made from metal and are custom made to match the shape of your teeth. This type of braces may be particularly suited to patients who are interested in maintaining an aesthetic appearance, including professional adults, athletes, models, and celebrities.
For more information about different types of braces in Dover, New Hampshire, we invite you to contact us today!